Thursday, September 22, 2011

Halloween Pillow

I make stuff all the time but I'm terrible about taking pictures- especially of the process.  I made a Halloween Pillow the other day I used this image:

free and copy write free from The Graphics Fairy
I used leftover Halloween fabric scraps to make the cording cover. (I rescued them from being thrown away!  My sister in law and mother in law were doing a Halloween craft with a lot of circles which = a lot of scraps)
I Mod Podge transferred the image onto some painters canvas (a good tutorial HERE for using Mod Podge, or HERE for a using Citra Solv).  If you want to print straight onto the fabric check out the tips on this blog post on Grograin.  I used the painters canvas for the main fabric of the pillow.  But I wanted to find out if the Mod Podge transferred, ink jet printed image would be able to withstand being washed (I even sprayed it with acrylic spray and water proof spray)  Well, after the wash only a vague outline was left on the fabric- and a few smudges, ugh.  So I got out my handy dandy fabric paints and filled in the outlines.  At least now, with the fabric paint, I know it won't wash off. (My lesson- Mod Podge transferred ink jet prints onto fabric can wash off)
I covered the cord with the Halloween fabric and sewed it to the edge of the painters canvas.  Here's a good tip if you like tight pillows- cut the pillow cover to the same measurements as the pillow.  For instance, if you have an 18x18 inch pillow, cut your fabric 18x18 inches.  I've never had a problem fitting the pillow in (ok, maybe I have to shove a little) but the pillow is always tight and never saggy and loose looking.  Make sure to leave a very wide opening to stuff the pillow into. 
Last, I Stuffed a pillow form I had on hand into the cover, ironed the open end (you can do this before stuffing!) and then hand-sewed the opening together.
I have a few more pillows I'm going to make for Halloween using graphics from The Graphics Fairy.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Another item off the list

By this time tomorrow I will be able to cross off another item on my summer craft to-do list.
I was suppose to finish the Halloween Advent Calendar by August 20.
I didn't meet my deadline, but I am getting it done and it feels awesome (and it looks pretty cool too).
The one on the right is the Pottery Barn Original that I copied based mine on.
My mother-in-law saw it in the store and loved it, so she got all the materials to make it.  She cut out the big orange square, put ric-rac on it and then it just sat for a while.  Well, I love to butt into other peoples crafts, so when I came over and saw this huge piece of orange felt on the table I wanted to know exactly what was going on.  My MIL showed me a picture of the original online and asked me if I could make a tree for hers.  I did, then I made letters, then I made a few animals.  THEN, I had to go home...  Long story short, my MIL saw that it went on sale at the store and said I could have the one we'd been working on!  YAY!
So here is my version of the Halloween Advent Calandar:

I still need to sew on the little pockets- I may add a black boarder later (next year)- but after the sewing, I'm done!!!  I love how it turned out, and can't wait to stick candy in each of the pockets.
Happy Halloween!


This is the list I made for this summer:

June 13-18  Finish pattern and put together kit for Sock Monkey quilt  (check)
June 20-25  Finish cutting and sew together the top of the Single Girl quilt (still working on this)
June 27-July 2  Make a cooking video "How to make Pulled Pork" (I didn't buy pork all summer, too expensive- had to save for the trip!)
July 4-9  Start reupholstering the love seat (check)
July 11-16 Write a pattern for my strawberry fields quilt (check)
July 18-23  Finish the Strawberry Cake quilt (nope)
July 25-30  Finish reupholstering the love seat (not even close)
August 1-6  Build a bridge with Ethan (check!!)
August 8-13  Organize, Sort, and clean craft room (check more than once- it keeps getting dirty again)
August 15-20  Halloween Advent Calendar (not yet, but SOON!)

Things I did that weren't on the list- Painted butterflies, painted shift key paintings, made 3 messenger bags for the kiddos, Sold 3 items from my etsy store (they were all the same flower- a girl wore them in her wedding), made a cute little travel purse for me, and patched clothes a lot!

So there you are, I finished half of my summer projects.  I bought myself a prize for when I finish:  a set of melamine stacking bowls in 5 delicious colors...  I want them so bad!  Time to get my rear in gear!
Thanks for dropping by.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Projects finished just in time for school

One of my goals to complete during the summer was building a bridge with Ethan.
Mission accomplish (barely!)

Also, the night before school started I decided Nora's backpack needed a little more flair.  I painted some extra detail and added a butterfly patch that I made from a painting I made and decoupaged onto fabric...