Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pincushion


I saw the most lovely pincushion on my Instagram feed. The french knots made me squeel in delight. I had to make one, like immediately.
Vanessa Christenson of V and Co. wrote this tutorial on French knots, it's the best one I've ever had to follow.

I cut out a four inch square piece of painters cloth canvas (It's what I had lying around). I used a disappearing ink pen to draw the design. I followed her instructions on the French knot and went to town making the knots. It uses a ton of thread! I was surprised at how much and how fast I went through thread.
After the hearts were finished, I sewed another square piece of canvas to the embroidered square, right sides together. I think I ended up making them about a 3 inch square. When sewing them together leave a 1 inch gap so you can turn it right side out. Fill with your favorite pin cushion filling. Lots of vetren sewers use crushed walnut shells... I had some poly pellets on hand, so I used those. But I wouldn't recommend it- they are too big and sometimes I have to shove the pin twice to get it into the pin cushion :-/. Then, hand stitch the one inch hole together.
I love it, and it makes me happy and makes my sewing table prettier!

No comments:

Post a Comment